THE FINAL PREPARATIONS AT THE MANOR




Well, The great Tsunami that is Christmas Day is nearly upon us. All we can do is hope to swim with the tide and come out alive at the other end.
It is tradition at the Manor to leave present wrapping until the very last minute. It takes an age but allows me a quiet time with a bottle of sherry and Carols from Kings, when nobody will bother me and I can ponder the Christmases of yore when a plastic ray gun or a whoopy cushion were enough to keep the twins happy until their birthday. 
For once I came away with the same number of pairs of scissors as I started with. Not so the sticky tape. I'm sure I had four rolls when I began the task but two have disappeared under the paper, never to be seen again.When everything was done up with ribbons and tags, I was rather pleased with my efforts. However small the gift, it should look like one gave it one’s all and I think I have achieved that. Of course, Crichton’s  exercise bike is enormous and almost impossible wrap, but at least it has a bow on top so I don’t think he will feel that I hadn't done my duty. 
We were all done and dusted with everything stacked under the tree, when Cook dropped a bomb shell. She had forgotten to buy the endive. Disaster! How can one have a turkey dinner without lettuce? 
Crichton was the obvious choice to fetch some. That is a mistake I shan't make again.

Of course the super market car park was heaving and of course, there were no trolleys to be had, but it's really no excuse. I won't say he didn't try, but any fool would know that the BP garage on the ring road would not supply the goods. He came home with  yet another box of Lenders, and tin of Heinz vegetable salad. Who knew they still made the disgusting stuff? Sometimes I wonder what goes on in that head of his.

Crichton comments
I love Christmas Eve. 
Cynthia calms down and once the presents are wrapped and under the tree. 
You can't beat getting mellow with Mary Poppins and a glass of single malt.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bunty Takes Sanctuary at the Manor